2018 has come to an end and now is the time to brainstorm your resolutions for next year. Sure, eating better, saving money, and spending quality time with loved ones are all excellent goals for 2019. However, what about doing something that would have a much greater impact for those in need? Ring in the New Year the right way by setting a powerful resolution that benefits others and yourself at the same time. I am talking about volunteering!
Volunteerism is such a generous act that all of us need to make a priority in 2019 in order to build up communities and help those who need us most. Along with assisting others, volunteering provides great benefits to those willing to serve. According to The Balance Small Business, volunteering builds bonds and friendships, improves self-esteem, promotes longevity, and much more!1 Who knows. Several of your other New Year’s resolutions could be met simply by volunteering. Talk about a win-win!
The demand for volunteers in 2019 is high and will continue to grow unless individuals like you step up and give back. Many nonprofit organizations, both big and small, are looking for people who can help them reach specific goals that ultimately fulfill their missions. Some nonprofits are even entirely volunteer-based, meaning they would not be able to operate without your efforts. Whether it is to support children facing life-threatening illnesses or restore a community that was hit by a devastating natural disaster, there are an abundance of nonprofit organizations you can become involved with to have a positive influence on the lives of others. Your service is more valuable than you think!
Not sure how to get started? Don’t stress. Volunteering doesn’t have to be complicated. To find the perfect opportunity, here are a few tips:
- Think about a cause you are passionate about.
- Make a list of these causes as well as certain skills you can provide to others through volunteer work.
- Research volunteer opportunities online. These could be local or even in another country. Find something you are passionate about and pursue it!
- Take the necessary steps to become a volunteer. Begin by asking questions, fill out any required forms, and then arrive to the specific location ready to serve.
- Once you have given back to others by volunteering, let the organization you worked with know about your overall experience.
Make a difference this upcoming year by placing service at the top of your resolution list. No matter what type of cause you are interested in supporting, there shouldn’t be an excuse for not getting involved. Find your passion and follow through with it.
- Fritz, J. (2018, July 3). 15 reasons to get off the couch and volunteer. The Balance Small Business. Retrieved from https://www.thebalancesmb.com/unexpected-benefits-of-volunteering-4132453